Thursday, August 27, 2009

We are Guests in Gaming

A common topic of discussion among students here at the Kartause is how much the staff at the Mensa (the Kartause's dining hall) supposedly hate us. The staff seem to be easily irritated by our presence and apparently just changed the locks on the Mensa doors and they're the only ones with a key. This means that when staff forgot to unlock the doors this morning the resident assistants could only stand by helplessly as a crowd of students quickly massed for breakfast. Not even the resident director had a key and the student body had to wait half an hour before a local with a key could be found.


However, I don't think the Mensa workers hate us - though it may be possible that they dislike us just slightly. I find this perfectly understandable when I try to imagine working for an American cafeteria when suddenly my place of employment is flooded by nearly 200 Germans babbling in a tongue I cannot understand . . . and they're all wearing lederhosen. They say things in German and I don't know how to respond, they yodel, and they break all the rules out of ignorance. That seems like more than enough reason for me, the exasperated cafeteria worker, to resent these intrusive foreigners. Thus, I applaud you Mensa workers of Gaming, for putting up with the mass of American students galavanting around your home.




Americans like Steve Eskro

1 comment: