Saturday, December 5, 2009

It Is Finished

Gallivanting across Europe? Check.
Complete transformation of my entire faith life? Check.
Survive five final exams in three days? Check.

With only five days until I board my flight my life in Gaming, Austria is almost over. And what do I have to show for it?

Well, a wise man once said, "literally - nothing is the same." Thus said the household brother of legend, Elliot Foley when he in the days of yore walked these same hallowed halls. And I can with equal confidence say the same: literally nothing is the same. How I see myself is not the same. How I relate to the world is not the same. How I perceive other people is not the same. My relationship with God is not the same. Nothing is the same. Everything is different.

Now, I move on. I go home. But that will not be the same either. Sometimes it may be tempting to try and put things back the way they were but I know in my heart that that is not, and never will be, The Plan. Now is the challenge. Even now I hear the battle cry: it is time to leave the pilgrimages and the holy men and women and Maria Thron behind . . . and face the world. Austria has changed me; God has changed me; now I need to go change the world in the million little ways that will be required of me.

Even now my heart thumps against my chest with a curious mix of eager anticipation, a dynamic drive, and a tinge of anxiety. Do I have what it takes? No. But God does, He resides in my heart, and He gives me the strength I need. When I stepped off that plane for the first time onto European soil I had a heart of broken glass. Now, when I step on to that plane to go back to the United States I will have a heart of Blood and Fire, a Pierced heart, Jesus' Heart.

I came, a boy; I leave, a true man. St. Joseph pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment